Search

Get Social with us! Check out the latest from our Instagram and Facebook! #vetnpet

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Help!! My Dog Has Eaten His Tick Collar

  • by Bec
  • 1 min read

I have come home and found my dog has chewed & possibly eaten some of his tick collar. Is this dangerous, should I be concerned?

Tick Collars contain Amitraz, which is what that makes them effective for treating ticks, but it can actually be quite dangerous if ingested.

If your dog has chewed and/or possibly eaten a tick collar you need to contact a veterinarian immediately as it very dangerous and life threatening.

Early signs of Amitraz poisoning, usually seen 2-6 hours after ingestion, include; lethargy, depression, weakness, vomiting, diarrhoea and tummy pain. As the poisoning progresses hypothermia & disorientation can occur and if left untreated it can lead to death.

Your dog will most likely require some form of treatment from a veterinarian, even as a precautionary measure if unsure if they have actually ingested some of the tick collar. If the collar has been ingested in the last hour a vet will administer medications to induce vomiting to help remove the collar from the stomach and reduce poisoning. The vet may also give activated charcoal to absorb the poison from the stomach and intestine. The dogs blood pressure may drop so they will administer intravenous fluids and keep the dog warm to reduce hypothermia.

Continued monitoring will be required but if treated early most dogs will recover well.

The post Help!! My Dog Has Eaten His Tick Collar appeared first on vet-n-pet DIRECT Help Centre.