Here are some top grooming tips to keep your horse always looking their best!.
- Do not over bathe your horse. Only shampoo when necessary as over-shampooing can make the coat dry and appear dull. You can just rinse sweat of them, spot clean and often brush dirt out.
- Brush the hair in the direction that the hair grows.
- Curry comb your horse every day to help remove dead hair and dirt. This will stimulate natural oil production.
- Clean your horse’s feet our daily and use a hoof oil or dressing.
- Brush the mane and tail starting from the bottom and working up. This helps removes knots and tangles easier.
- Use a detangling spray if needed.
- Keep your brushes clean. Clean soft brushes after every few strokes by brushing them on a curry comb or metal brush to remove dirt and dust. Disinfectant and wash brushes on a regular basis.
- If it is too cold to bathe your horse use a sponge to wipe of their face, neck, saddle and girth area to remove any sweat.
- Rug your horse to minimise dirt, dust and fading from the sun.
- Feed a good quality diet and add oil supplements like omega oils to bring out a shiny healthy coat.
Remember that grooming your horse shouldn’t be a chore, it is a great time to bond and spoil your equine friend with some extra love and attention.
Originally published in My Pet Magazine Summer 2015/16.
To view all issues of My Pet Magazine click here.