Search

Get Social with us! Check out the latest from our Instagram and Facebook! #vetnpet

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Household Dangers For Pets

  • by Bec
  • 2 min read

You may think that your house is pet safe but there are a number of things in your home that you may not even realise could be hazardous to your pets. Every year thousands of pets present to veterinary clinics after incidents around the house, some of which could have been avoidable situations. The following are some common household dangers that could cause injury, illness or even death to your pet.

Rat Baits
During Autumn we often see an increase in mice and rat numbers around our homes which often lead to putting out baits to kill them. These baits are extremely dangerous for pets if they are ingested and can quickly cause death if left untreated. If you must use baits make sure they are out of reach of pets or preferably use bait stations.

Electrical Cords
Electrical cords may look like a toy to the inquisitive pet, especially puppies. Keep them out of reach so that they are not chewed or pulled on.

Food
There are a lot of human foods that can be very dangerous. If ingested, they can even cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and in severe cases, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Some toxic foods include chocolate, grapes, raisins and avocados, but if you are not 100% sure the food is safe do not feed it to your pet.

Rubbish
Some dogs and cats love to get into rubbish bins and rummage around for something to eat. This can be dangerous as they could find something they shouldn’t touch, like bones, food wrappers or fruit seeds. Keep bins covered and out of reach.

Plants
There are a number of poisonous plants that could be found in and around your home, including azaleas, sago palm, lilies, kalanchoe and schefflera that if ingested can be toxic.

Medication
Many prescription and over the counter medications can be extremely dangerous and even fatal. Be sure that all medications, both human and pets, are kept well out of reach.

Household Cleaners
Many household cleaners can be dangerous when inhaled by pets, potentially resulting in respiratory tract irritation and/or gastrointestinal distress. When ingested, even if licked off their paws after walking on a cleaned floor or bench, can also cause poisoning.

Please remember, that if you ever suspect that your pet has be poisoned, ingested anything they shouldn’t have or are injured, contact your veterinarian immediately as early intervention is always best and often life saving.

 

Originally published in My Pet Magazine Autumn 2015.
To view all issues of My Pet Magazine click here.

The post Household Dangers For Pets appeared first on vet-n-pet DIRECT Help Centre.