There are many plants that may be found in your own backyard that can be very dangerous and toxic to your pets.
Some plants can be dangerous simply when the animal touches or brushes against them and others need to be licked, chewed or ingested to cause harm. These plants can cause a variety of different symptoms ranging from simple allergic reactions to death. Dangerous or poisonous plants could cause symptoms including sneezing, respiratory irritation, skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, organ damage, blood poisoning, seizures, neurological damage and even death.
Pet owners should have an understanding of what plants could be harmful and take care to avoid having them accessible to their pets. If you are ever unsure about the safety of a particular plant please discuss it with your veterinarian.
The following are some articles and websites that have contain further information about poisonous plants and lists of dangerous and toxic plants to pets.